R & D
Our Research & Development structure is distinguished by its breadth and strength due to both an efficient internal organization and numerous partnerships with universities and research institutes.
Our network consists of more than 200 experts, many of whom are specialized in oenology and agro-food science. The continuous flow of innovations from our R&D department allows us to improve the existing range of products while developing new formulations and equipment.
One of our great strengths at AEB lies in the continuous work carried out with universities and research centers around the world, allowing us to further our applied research and to identify new technological solutions.
Our global presence, including in key markets around the world, enables us to quickly satisfy our customers’ requirements.
Main fields of research
The main fields of research in the oenology sector are:
- non-Saccharomyces yeasts, to improve the aromatic profile of wine;
- non-Saccharomyces yeasts, to reduce the content of sulphur dioxide;
- clarifying agents of plant origin;
- tannins and gum Arabic, to make wines more supple;
- natural antioxidants, to slow down the aging of beverages;
- new ion exchange resins;
- filter aids;
- new microfiltration cartridge;
- detergent formulations, more efficient and with minor environmental impact;
- new enzymatic detergents;
- new tannins derived from different types of trees.
Chemical and biological laboratories
We have five chemical and biological research centres, all equipped with the latest technology:
- Two laboratories at our headquarters in Brescia (in Italy): The first is the laboratory for Applied Research in Oenology (A.R.O.), specialized in the analysis and development of oenological starters (particularly new yeast and bacteria), in nutrition strategies, in filtration and in aging through the study of polyphenolic profiles. The Quality Control laboratory, however, is focused on raw materials, semi-finished and finished products to be industrialized;
- Two laboratories in France: the first laboratory located in Gretz-Armainvilliers near Paris, is focused on developing increasingly innovative and effective products for each area of activity of AEB. It specializes in molecular biology of bacteria and yeasts.
The other is in Alsace, more specifically in Kaysersberg-Vignoble where the focus is on oenological applied research and specific analyses of musts and wines;
- A laboratory in Spain (Castellbisbal): It focuses on the development of new filtration products for the beer, olive oil, food and beverage industry. Our team of experts is available to solve issues and identify customized solutions for our clients.
We also have four microbiological laboratories:
- two laboratories in our Italian headquarters: the A.R O. and the Quality control department are in charge of these analyses: the first in the field of oenology, while the second on raw materials, semi-finished and finished products;
- Two laboratories in France: Gretz – Armainvilliers, the central laboratory, focuses on the study and selection of yeast strains as well as the development of new enzymatic formulations. Important analysis, such as the vitality of yeast and bacteria and contaminant research are all carried out in Kaysersberg-Vignoble.
Collaboration with universities and research centres
The expertise and extensive knowledge of the industry acquired by the group are also thanks to the constant cooperation with leading laboratories within universities and research centres.